There are so many things to love about these simple snacks. The ingredients are minimal; they are super easy to make; and they satisfy that afternoon craving for something sweet when chocolate just isn’t an option (remember October challenge?).
They are very similar to Date and Walnut Energy Squares, but use puffed rice to add the crunch rather than nuts. The addition of a little maple syrup makes them a little sweeter, but you can leave this out if you’d prefer. The great thing about making the mixture into balls is that you can get the kids to help out. It’s a sticky job, that they are sure to enjoy.
Unfortunately you need a food processor to make the dates mooshy enough to bind the ingredients together. If you have one, give these a try. They have become a firm favourite in our house. I’d love to hear what you think. Enjoy!
- 500 grams pitted dates
- 1½ cups puffed rice
- ¼ cup shredded coconut + extra for rolling
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Cut up the dates roughly and then place in the bowl of a food processor. Blitz until they are a sticky and mooshy. You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your food processor.
- Transfer the dates to a bowl.
- Add the coconut, puffed rice and chia seeds.
- Measure the maple syrup into a small bowl and add the vanilla extract. Stir to combine.Tip the mixture over the date mixture and combine everything together. Start off using a spoon, but it's easiest to use your hands. Works a treat!
- Place a small pile of coconut on a plate to roll the balls in once they are rolled.
- Roll the mixture into small tight balls, then roll them in the coconut.
- Refrigerate for a couple of hours before eating.