Coconut cupcakes are my absolute favourite. As a result, when nobody else wants to put forward a suggestion, or there’s no one home to ask what they want to take as their contribution to the team snack on game day, it will always be coconut cupcakes. You can make them big so you can fully indulge, or you can make them small so there’s lots to go around. And despite the complaints…not coconut cupcakes again, the plate will always be empty when its time to pack up. These are my favourite cupcakes ever…and go perfectly with a good cup of coffee.
- 250 g plain flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 115g butter, at room temperature
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 115g greek yoghurt
- 40g shredded coconut
- 170g butter, at room temperature
- 370g icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 170g shredded coconut for dipping them in
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees celsius. Line the tins with patty papers.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar and vanilla essence for about 3 minutes until creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add half the flour mixture, and mix on low speed until just blended. Add the yoghurt and mix until smooth. Add the rest of the flour mixture and coconut and mix until just blended.
- Fill each lined cup mostly full with batter. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of a cupcake comes out clean. (Time will vary according to the size of the tins you use.) Remove from oven and cool on rack.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the butter, icing sugar, cream, and vanilla for about 3 minutes, until smooth.
- Pour the coconut into a shallow bowl for dipping the cupcakes in.
- Ice the top of each cupcake using a knife or pipe the icing on using an icing bag (looks prettier and its easier to do). Holding the bottom of each cupcake, roll the iced top in the coconut.
(Kids Baking – Williams-Sonoma 2003)
You are home, I tried to call you today. Will try again tomorrow.
Sent from my iPad